Evolution W – Build Update 2

Over the weekend I was able to do a little more work on my Evolution W wings. Unfortunately I was unable to get the reprieve from my two daughters that was afforded me during the previous weekend. I only was able to get through the throwing peg area and working out the leading edge. I made a fix for the ribs that I goofed and also did a bit of sanding to blend them in (and test my skills on the shear webs).

Carbonweave is under the balsa scrap. Ugh on the LE at the bend.

Carbonweave is under the balsa scrap. Ugh on the LE at the bend.

Traian HowTo: Wing Tip – Throwing Peg Area

The first thing I tackled was the throwing peg area. I followed Triain’s video on how to do this section. Making the template and then transferring to scrap made it a pretty easy affair. The picture above was taken after I had the leading edge completed. You’ll notice that the area at the next to last rib, where the tightest part of the bend occurs, is not the best looking. I’ll go into this later but it was a bear to even get it to end up looking like this.

I just couldn't make the rounded section work.

I just couldn’t make the rounded section work.

I had imagined that doing the leading edge to be pretty painless. After watching Traian’s video it made it appear pretty easy.

Traian HowTo: Leading Edge

The problem that I ran into is that it appears that my wings have a tighter bend than his do for that final bend back to the tip.

I couldn't make the bend without breaking the LE.

I couldn’t make the bend without breaking the LE.

You can really see the issue that I ran into in the above picture. All three pieces broke trying to make the curve. I used thick CA to make my ply for the leading edge. I really want this area to be hardened and strong.

Next I decided to do a little sanding.

Sanded the shear web flush. already did a little work on the TE.

Sanded the shear web flush. already did a little work on the TE.

You can see in the lower left part of the picture that there is an extra piece of balsa for a rib. I didn’t follow the guides that were laser etched onto the wing. This was stupid. I ended up taking the cut out leftovers from that rib section to make the little section that you can see. I blended this in by sanding.

I decided since I had stuff taped off for working on the rib that I would test my hand at doing the shear webs. I did the first two as Triain suggests. They were pretty easy. I think doing the shear webs will go smoothly. The trailing edge makes me nervous, though.

Got the tape on and sanded a few spots already.

Got the tape on and sanded a few spots already.

Here’s the wings as they currently sit. I’m going to put on the 80 grit sandpaper on the longer block and switch to a lighter grit on the smaller one. I’m not sure how much more I’ll be able to get to work on this over the next few weekends. There are some non-RC life things that I have to attend to!

About Mike

I'm a software engineer. Look into the about page for more information about me.
Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply