Open Flight Stabilizer Update

Recently I wrote up an article about how to flash the Open FlightStab software to the Orange RX RS3X. I’ve sense flashed the open source program to another standalone stabilizer and one integrated receiver/stabilizer combo. Each one was pretty easy. With the cost of the RS3X and DSM2 receiver being so low it doesn’t hurt having a couple of these around for that next “project” that comes along. How Does It Fly? Flashing the Open FlightStab is one thing, but how does it fly? Today I got a chance to fly two of my airplanes with the stabilizers. I’ve been … Continue reading

Blog Spam

Somehow my blog is now the target of a good amount of blog spam. I like to think that it’s become popular enough that spammers see it as a good target because of the amount of readers I get! It is annoying to have to start the day by removing 150 spam comments.  I decided to try a new comment spam moderation system.  I haven’t gone and implemented a captcha system yet.  I don’t want to take the nuclear option. Anyhow if you notice you cannot leave a comment on the blog then try to get a hold of me … Continue reading

Open Flight Stabilizer for the Orange RS3X

Update July 14th, 2015: I originally wrote this article 2 years ago. I’ve gone through and updated some of the links and text. Most notably there is much more in terms of availability for some of the parts such as the USBAsp and flashing tool. Also, Orange RX now has more product in the US warehouses including a stabilizer combined with a 6-ch RX. Open Flight Stabilizer I recently purchased a V2 version of the Orange RS3X from HobbyKing.com. It’s a pretty nice little stabilizer for the price. My only real gripe after trying it is that Hobby King takes … Continue reading

VMWare OVFTool Domain User Note

So I am in the process of migrating my TFS boxes from their consumer grade hardware to an actual datacenter. The datacenter is setup for Active Directory on our corporate domain. I didn’t want to have a server administrator account created just for these moves and I knew our team wasn’t going to let me have that amount of access. I wanted to use the technique I described here. Anyhow, I found this today. Basically you need to URL encode anything in the “vi” URI.  vi://WINDOMAIN%5cAdministrator:password@host/ The bolded part would be the “\” in your domain. I hope this helps someone!